Photonic integrated circuits
Photonic integrated circuits. This is a graduate-level course for those who are interested in Lightwave/photonic circuits.
The course introduces essential concepts required to understand the operation of various integrated photonic components and draws a parallel with bulk components. This course will cover the theory, design, fabrication, and application aspects of photonic materials and devices. In addition to lectures, a selection of demonstration of device fabrication and characterization will be presented.
What Will I Learn?
- Week 1:Review of Electromagnetic Waves
- Week 2:Photonic integrated circuits: an introduction
- Week 3: Material technology for integrated optics
- Week 4:Introduction to guided wave optics
- Week 5:Integrated optical waveguide design
- Week 6:Coupling light in a waveguide system
- Week 7: Integrated photonic Passive devices
- Week 8:Integrated photonic Active devices
- Week 9:Semiconductor Light sources and Photodetectors
- Week 10:Material engineering and fabrication
- Week 11: APhotonic integrated circuit technology: Silicon, III-V and beyond
- Week 12:Application of Photonic circuit in Communication and Sensing
Topics for this course