Compliant Mechanism Design is a mechanism that derives at least some or all their motion from the flexing of material. They can provide powerful solutions to tasks requiring high precision, compact footprints, reduced weight, performance in harsh environments including where lubrication is restricted, specific force-deflection properties, energy-storage capabilities, and ease of manufacturability. Compliant mechanisms have been used from macroscale pointing mechanisms to microelectromechanical (MEMS) instruments and devices.
While their potential is powerful, compliant mechanisms can be challenging to analyze and design as large deflections cause commonly-used linear equations to fail.
This course addresses design methods for compliant mechanisms. It highlights where compliant mechanisms can be advantageous, particularly in deployable and space-related mechanisms.
The course addresses fabrication and testing of compliant mechanisms, including guidelines for additive manufacturing compliant mechanisms.
Who Should Attend this course:
Anyone involved in the design, selection, or evaluation of systems that transfer motion, force, or energy. This can include:
- Engineers and personnel involved in the design, testing, and manufacturing.
- Program managers, decision-makers, analysts, and anyone else desiring a working knowledge of the advantages and challenges of compliant mechanism design and application.
What Will You Learn?
- How to recognize when compliant mechanism designs can offer strong solutions.
- The nomenclature is necessary to understand and recognize compliant mechanisms.
- Methods for designing and analyzing compliant mechanisms.
- How compliant mechanisms can be effectively fabricated and tested with an emphasis on guidelines for additive manufacturing.
Compliant Mechanism Design
“Introducing Flexible Machines: Course Overview” – Compliant Mechanism Design (Part 1)07:49
“Bending is Bountiful: Compliant Examples are Everywhere” – Compliant Mechanism Design (Part 2A)00:00
“Bending is Bountiful: Compliant Examples are Everywhere” – Compliant Mechanism Design (Part 2B)00:00
“Bending is Bountiful: Compliant Examples are Everywhere” – Compliant Mechanism Design (Part 2C)00:00
“Fundamentals of Deformation: Spring Mechanics” – Compliant Mechanism Design (Part 3A)00:00
“Fundamentals of Deformation: Spring Mechanics” – Compliant Mechanism Design (Part 3B)12:38