The Welding Metallurgy course focuses on understanding the metallurgy and solidification of weldments
The course will present the learners aware of the metallurgical aspects of welding. For preparing a sound weld, the scholars are required to be aware of the science behind the welding phenomena, especially in the field of weld metal solidification, heat transfer, heat treatment processes, strengthening mechanisms, etc.
The course will be useful for engineering graduates as well as professionals working in the area of welding.
What Will I Learn?
- Week 1: Introduction to welding metallurgy, phase diagrams
- Week 2: Phase transformation, TTT, and CCT diagrams
- Week 3: Metal strengthening approaches
- Week 4: Heat treatment processes for weldments
- Week 5: Analysis of heat flow and temperature distribution in welding
- Week 6: Concept of solidification in welding, constitutional supercooling
- Week 7: Introduction to heat affected zones, Properties of HAZ
- Week 8: Residual stresses in welding, Preheat and postweld heat treatment
- Week 9: Types of welding distortion and its control
- Week 10: Cracks in welds
- Week 11: Weldability issues in materials
- Week 12: Welding defects, Design considerations in welding