Towards 6G. The Wireless Evolution aligned with IMT-2030 Network 2030. Learn about the reasons 6G Networks will Redefine our Society. Our Lifestyle Approaches.
It’s safe to say technology never rests.
Only a year into the 5G rollout in the U.S., systems engineers are already discussing the next major evolution in networking – 6G.
Also known as IMT-2030 or network 2030, some are predicting amazing capabilities for 6G architecture, insinuating that 6G could make 5G look like 2G in comparison.
While not currently a functioning technology (it’s in the early research phase), the projected Towards 6Gmenu offers significant technological advances that will surely impact every organization, business, agency, and individual. These advancements include:
- Mind-boggling speeds of 1TB per second (compared to 5G’s top number of 10Gpbs). That means 142 hours of Netflix movies could be downloaded in one second.
- Holographic meets and meetings. While 5G features seamless video conferencing tools like Zoom, 6G’s focus will be on holographic media where full-sized holograms of people can present in real-time as if standing in a meeting room.
- Personalized surfaces could be a hallmark of 6G architecture. Imagine riding in your autonomous vehicle with nothing to do so you touch a window and a personalized surface comes alive with any number of interfaces for work, home, or entertainment.
- Smart materials should also debut with 6G. These are programmed electronics that allow important consumer information to move across common products like miniature Times Square LED announcement screens.
- Advancements in Cyber-physical systems in Smart Manufacturing where highly skilled workers will be provided with operational insights directly from coordinated intelligent machines controlled by a central entity.
- Along with autonomous cars and trucks, expect autonomous ports for loading cargo on ships.
- Biometric face scans with security sensing based on machine learning.
- Smart City services with AI sentient safety and comfort capable of the management of entire city logistics.
A Towards 6G network will likely be expected to provide a rich set of mechanisms to allow for interaction between the applications and the infrastructures beyond naive datagram delivery. Also, 6G should provide a suitable, performant interconnection of ever-richer access and edge networks which in turn will be utilized by new verticals with stricter as well as more varying boundaries for latency and capacity.
It’s been typical for a new mobile network standard to take the spotlight every decade or so. That means that Towards 6G networks might roll out sometime around 2030, or at least that’s when most telecom companies will be running 6G trials and when we’ll see phone manufacturers tease 6G-capable phones.
However, it’s common for work to start as long as a decade before any real implementation of a new network technology, which might be why you’ll start hearing about 6G before you even have your hands on a 5G phone.
For forward-thinking organizations, it might make sense to begin planning now for 6G including enrolling in specific training on what this future architecture will be capable of.
As organizations who got a late start on 5G can attest – one day it’s not there, and the next it’s everywhere.
Stay ahead of the curve with Towards 6G courses by ResearcherStore.
Massive MIMO is a Reality—What is Next?32:53
Reinventing the Wireless Network Architecture Towards 6G
Cell-free Massive MIMO and Radio Stripes23:17
Beyond the Cellular Paradigm
Cell-free Architectures with Radio Stripes00:00
Fundamentals of Reflecting
Fundamentals of Intelligent Reflecting Surfaces00:00
Reconfigurable intelligent surfaces
Reconfigurable intelligent surfaces: Myths and realities00:00