Theoretical Mechanics the complete guide in 2020
Theoretical Mechanics the complete guide in 2020.
This course focuses on analytical aspects of classical mechanics and is targeted towards the audience who are interested in pursuing research in Physics. Various formulations of mechanics, like the Lagrangian formulation, the Hamiltonian formulation, the Poisson bracket formulation will be taught in the course. The course also introduces the mechanics of continuous systems and fields.
INTENDED AUDIENCE: First year of MSc or 2nd and 3rd year of BE/BTech in Engg Physics
What Will I Learn?
- Week 1: Motion and Constraints, Generalized Coordinates, D’Alembert’s Principle of Virtual Work
- Week 2: Variational Calculus, Hamilton’s Principle, Lagrangian Formulation.
- Week 3: Application of Lagrangian Formulation, Configuration Space and Phase Space.
- Week 4: Hamilton’s Equations of Motion
- Week 5: Cannonical Transformations, Cannonical invariants, Symplectic Approach to CT.
- Week 6: Poisson Bracket Formulation, Symmetry groups of Mechanical Systems, Liouville’s Theorem
- Week 7: Hamilton Jacobi Theory, Hamilton’s Principal Function, Action-Angle variables.
- Week 8: Lagrangian and Hamiltonian Formulation for Continuous Systems and Fields.
- Week 9: CanonicalTransformations
- Week 10:Poisson Bracket Formulation
- Week 11:Hamilton-Jacobi Theory
- Week 12:Chaos