Subsurface exploration : Importance and techniques involved
Subsurface exploration: Importance and techniques involved.
This Subsurface exploration course covers the requirement of thorough subsurface investigation, it’s important in the planning and execution of the project. Classification of investigations to be adopted and challenges faced during many of the most complex civil engineering projects across the globe. Detailed discussion on methodologies starting with borehole drilling, rock drilling to advanced methods such as electrical resistivity, geophysical tests, sounding, magnetic anomaly, dilatometer test, pressuremeter tests, the ground-penetrating radar will be covered along with numerical problems at various stages. Besides, dynamic testing on piles which is a very hot topic these days will be covered in the course.
INTENDED AUDIENCE: Btech, Mtech, Ph.D. students, industrial engineers, designers, and people from field investigation
What Will I Learn?
- Week 1: Importance of site investigation, Classification of investigations Week 2: Test Pits+ Borings, Groundwater table, and rock drilling, Standard Penetration Test
- Week 3: Cone Penetration test, Dilatometer Test, Pressuremeter Test
- Week 4: Seismic refraction survey, Seismic reflection survey, Electrical Resistivity Test, Magnetic anomaly test
- Week 5: Suspension logging test, Gravity test, Offshore and onshore investigationsWeek 6: Drillships, barges, Jacket up platforms, positioning, Anchored structure, pipelines
- Week 7: Terminologies in Pile foundation
- Week 8: Pile drivability test, Pulse-Echo Method (PEM)