Open RAN (O-RAN) is a key enabler of 5G and Beyond technologies that will make the Radio Access Network of an end-to-end 6G system more distributed and disaggregated. In addition to disaggregation of various RAN components, namely, the centralized unit and the distributed unit, Open RAN technologies will introduce additional functionalities namely, software-defined networking, virtualization, programmability, closed-loop automation, orchestration in the RAN that will make the network more resilient, enable dynamic resource scheduling, dynamic spectrum sharing, and implement edge security monitoring. This summit will provide a platform for the vendors, operators, academics, and regulators to discuss topics related to research, standardization, trials, and deployment. The Open RAN summit will cover the topics related to the standardization of Open RAN including O-RAN alliance, 3GPP, IEEE, various deployment scenarios, testing and integration, Open RAN security, RAN slicing, and RAN optimization among others. The summit will provide a platform to discuss various opportunities and challenges associated with the Open RAN, ongoing research, trial, and deployment by various operators. This summit will give an opportunity to take a look at experimental results from various trials and deployment, testing, and integration methodologies and discuss potential solutions to various challenges associated with Open RAN deployment. The summit will also discuss various opportunities associated with Open RAN and how the operators and enterprises can use Open RAN technologies to make their networks more optimized, scalable, and cost-efficient. This summit will further explore research opportunities and will pave the way for further collaboration for next-generation Radio Access Networks.
- Researchers & students
- Telecommunications service providers
- Policymakers & government agencies
- Other interested stakeholders
- RAN Disaggregation with CU and DU
- Programmability and Resilience
- Dynamic Resource Scheduling
- Dynamic Spectrum Sharing
- Edge Security Monitoring
- Closed-Loop Automation
- Enhanced Security
- Virtualization and SDN
- Front-haul, Mid-haul, and Back-haul
- Testing and Integration
- Edge Detection and Mitigation
- RAN Slicing
- RAN Optimization
- Introduction Purva Rajkotia/Ashutosh Dutta, Ivan Seskar, and Mithun Mukherjee
- Chih Lin I, China Mobile
- Mari Silbey, US Ignite
- Venki Ramaswamy, MITRE
- Murat Torlak, NSF
- Padma Sudarsan, VMWare
- Brian Daly, AT&T
- Haseeb Akhtar, Ericsson
- Nicholas Karter, Analog Devices
- Raymond Shen, Keysight
- Scott Poretsky, Ericsson
- Kevin Bross, Intel
- Amit Malhotra, Viavi Solutions
- Sassan Ahmadi, Mavenir
- Michele Polese, North Eastern
- Irfan Lateef, NEC
- Vishwamitra Nandlall, Dell
- Murali Ranganathan, Facebook
- Ivan Seskar Rutgers, WINLAB
- Sanjiv Katwala, JHU/APL
- Closing Ashutosh Dutta
If you want to prepare yourself to build practical, and fully open telecom equipment, software programs, and end-to-end 4G/5G systems alternative and competitive to those produced by conventional Telecom companies, such as NOKIA, HUAWEI, SAMSUNG, ERICSSON, ZTE, etc., or want to learn how to build private 4G/5G networks, then this course is just for you. In this course, you will learn in detail most technical aspects of building end-to-end 4G and 5G systems including eNodeB/gNodeB, UE, and EPC/5GC.
Private networks, no matter who you ask (see: here, here, or here) have transitioned from lab toys to a multi-billion dollar industry. Open source too has left the lab and solutions from the likes of RedHat, OpenStack, O-RAN Alliance, and the Telecom Infra Project are a growing presence in operators’ networks globally. As the footprint of open source grows, and network operators see the benefits of deploying open-source, the industry is responding by developing open source solutions moving up the stack. Now with the introduction of the Magma project, open-source is moving into complex network functions like the core of the 4G and 5G mobile networks.
The Standards Association (SA), a premier institution for establishing consensus, fosters, develops, and promotes world technology. To promote standards creation and standards-related collaboration, we bring together a wide variety of people and organizations from a wide range of technical and geographic places of origin. We encourage innovation, support the development and expansion of global markets, and contribute to the protection of public health and safety with the aid of collaborative thinking leaders in more than 160 nations. The functionality, capacities, and interoperability of a wide range of goods and services that reshape how people live, work, and communicate are all influenced by the work we do together.
What Will You Learn?
- Understanding Open RAN architecture.
- Identifying challenges and opportunities in Open RAN.
- Different deployment models for Open RAN networks.
- Synchronization needs in Open RAN.
- Open RAN's role in 4G and 5G networks.
- Updates on the latest developments in Open RAN.
- How Open RAN fosters innovation in radio access technologies.
- Progression of 5G development in relation to Open RAN.
- Challenges and opportunities in deploying 5G with Open RAN.
- Ensuring performance and interoperability of Open RAN components.
- The current state and potential future of Open RAN adoption.
- Creating intelligent, adaptive networks with Open RAN.
- Security considerations and strategies for Open RAN networks.
- Building resilient Open RAN networks.
- Optimization and automation solutions within Open RAN.
- Real-world testing and proof-of-concept initiatives in Open RAN.
- Using Open RAN architecture for network performance analysis.
- Research infrastructure for advancing Open RAN technology.
- Strategies for unlocking the potential of Open RAN.
- Research challenges and opportunities in Next Generation networks (NextG).
2022 Open RAN Summit
2022 Open RAN Summit – Opening Remarks04:47
Cloud-native, Disaggregated, Intelligent, Service-based, and Scalable RAN Architecture of the Future16:40
Open RAN Architecture – Key Challenges and Opportunities26:37
Deployment Models and Synchronization Needs for O-RAN Networks19:23
Open and Smart RAN for 4G/5G and Beyond22:43
Open RAN Update22:30
Open Radio Enabled Innovation16:28
5G Development Progression to ORAN and Future 5G Feature14:08
5G Open RAN Deployment Challenges and Opportunities22:52
Assuring Performance and Interoperability of the Open RAN17:43
Open RAN…So Far Away?19:04
Intelligent Networks with Open RAN – Challenges and Opportunities16:49
Protecting the Open RAN Attack Surface22:32
Resiliency Adventures in Open RAN-Land24:39
Enabling Intelligent Optimization and Automation Solutions in Open RAN29:54
Report on O-RAN PlugFest and PoC25:51
Leveraging O-RAN Architecture for Network Performance Characterization25:11
PAWR: Research Infrastructure for Realizing the Potential of Open RAN23:36
NextG Research Challenges and Opportunities in the Era of Open RAN22:18
2022 Open RAN Summit07:32:31
2022 6G Workshop
6G Workshop – 6 hours presentations by top experts06:49:34