Membrane Technology the complete guide in 2020
Membrane Technology the complete guide in 2020.
This Membrane Technology course will provide an insight into the membrane-based separations that is an integral part of the downstream
processing of various industries.
The course begins with introducing the development of membranes and discussing the basics which are followed by a detailed discussion on membrane materials and their properties.
This course then deals with various methods of membrane preparations and their characterization. How separations (transport mechanism) takes place using membranes has been covered extensively. Further, principles of various membrane processes such as reverse osmosis, microfiltration, ultrafiltration, dialysis, liquid membrane, pervaporation, etc. have been covered along with their applications in different industries.
The course will enable students to develop the necessary skills to design appropriate membrane-based separation techniques as per the need.
INTENDED AUDIENCE: Final year BE/B.Tech., ME/M.Tech./MS and Ph.D. students.
What Will I Learn?
- Week 1: Overview and membrane materials
- Week 2: Material properties and preparation of phase-inversion membranes
- Week 3: Preparation of composite, inorganic membranes, and MF characterization
- Week 4: MF and UF characterization and membrane transport
- Week 5: Porous and non-porous membrane transport and Osmosis concepts
- Week 6: Reverse Osmosis and Nanofiltration
- Week 7: Ultrafiltration basics, transport models, applications
- Week 8: Micellar-enhanced and affinity UF, bioseparation, Microfiltration basics, transport, fouling, and applications
- Week 9: Problems and solutions based on RO, UF & MF, Dialysis
- Week 10: Electrodialysis, Pervaporation, Problems, and solutions based on ED, PV
- Week 11: Liquid Membranes, Gas separation, Membrane Distillation
- Week 12: Facilitated Transport, Membrane contactors, and other membrane processes