Introduction to Photonics the complete guide in 2020
Introduction to Photonics.
An introductory course in photonic leading to more advanced courses such as Lasers, Optical Communications, Optical Sensors, and Photonic Integrated Circuits. The learning objectives are: (1) Learn the fundamental principles of photonic and light-matter interactions, (2) Develop the ability to formulate problems related to photonic structures/processes and analyze them, and (3) Understand processes that help to manipulate the fundamental properties of light.
INTENDED AUDIENCE: Third or Final year BE/BTech, First-year ME/MTech/MS/PhD
What Will I Learn?
- Week 1: Science of light – evolution, ray/wave/statistical/quantum optics
- Week 2: Wave phenomena – Interference, Diffraction
- Week 3: Statistical properties of light - Coherence
- Week 4: What are photons? Photon properties - energy, flux, statistics
- Week 5: Interaction of photons with atoms
- Week 6: Light amplification
- Week 7: Laser fundamentals
- Week 8: Semiconductor junction characteristics
- Week 9: Semiconductor light sources
- Week 10: Semiconductor light detectors
- Week 11: Interaction of light with RF and acoustic waves
- Week 12: Nonlinear optics