Fundamentals of Spectroscopy the complete guide
Fundamentals of Spectroscopy.
Spectroscopy is the study of the interaction of light (electromagnetic radiation) with matter. Electromagnetic radiation covers a wide range of frequencies from gamma rays to radio frequencies. Depending on the frequency of radiation interacting with the matter, one can have different forms of spectroscopy.
These spectroscopic techniques allow us to monitor the structural properties of matter. For example, information on the moment of inertia (and hence bond length) can be obtained from the rotational spectrum. Similarly, the vibrational spectrum provides information on the force constant, i.e.
the strength of a chemical bond. Besides providing information on molecular structure, spectroscopic techniques can also be used for quantitative estimation of a substance making spectroscopy an important analytical tool. Further, a spectroscopic transition is characterized by a definite timescale and this can provide information on molecular dynamics. In this course, the fundamental principles of the different forms of spectroscopy will be elaborated in a unified way from both theoretical and experimental viewpoints.
The application of these different spectroscopic methods for the elucidation of molecular structure will also be discussed. The structural and dynamic aspects of spectroscopic are fundamental to physics, chemistry, and biology. Thus, this course will provide a thorough conceptual understanding of these branches of science.
INTENDED AUDIENCE: Interested Learners
What Will I Learn?
- Week 1: Interaction between Light and Matter
- Week 2: Different Forms of Spectroscopy
- Week 3: Rotational Spectroscopy
- Week 4: Rotational Spectroscopy
- Week 5: Vibrational Spectroscopy
- Week 6: Vibrational Spectroscopy
- Week 7: Raman Spectroscopy
- Week 8: Raman Spectroscopy
- Week 9: Electronic Spectroscopy
- Week 10: Electronic Spectroscopy
- Week 11: Electronic Spectroscopy
- Week 12: Combination of different spectroscopic methods to solve complex problems