Ecology and Environment
Ecology and Environment.
The objectives of the course are to introduce and sensitize all BTech students to the issue of ecology, environment, and sustainability. The lectures are aimed at posing various questions that are relevant for all students of engineering and management to incorporate sustainability and a sensitivity to ecology & environment in their design of products, processes, and systems.
INTENDED AUDIENCE: Any interested Learners
What Will I Learn?
- Week 1: Dr. B.S. Murty -Introduction (1), Sustainability Definition / Goals, Climate Change (2), Case Studies (3) (Eg: Dams, Chemicals, e-waste, IoT, Landfill
- siting etc)
- Week 2: Dr. Sudhir Chella Rajan-Sustainability and Economics (3), Sustainability and Ethics (3)
- Week 3: Dr. Ligy Philip-(Water Quality/ Waste Management), Water Quality and Treatment (3), Waste Management and Treatment (3)
- Week 4: Dr. B. S. Murty (Water Management/ Resources), Urban Drainage, Water Resource Management, Impact of Climate Change
- Week 5: Dr. Srinivas Jayanti (Energy)-Energy Demand / Resources (1), Pollution from Energy generation (1), Energy and Climate Change (Global Warming)
- (1),Energy and Sustainability (1), Long Range and Short Range Solutions (1)(Global vs. India)
- Week 6: Dr. R. Ravi Krishna-Risk Assessment Definition (1), Pollutant Pathways / Safety/ Exposure (1), Liability /Examples (1), Life Cycle Assessment
- (2),Environmental Management and LCA (1)
- Week 7: Dr. Sudhir Chella Rajan-Urban Planning / Sprawl (1), Challenges in Urban Planning, Transport (1), Energy (Smart Grid) (1), Waste (1), Governance (1)
- Week 8: Dr. Susy Varughese / Dr. Parag Ravindran-Ecology – definitions / Systems (1), Biodiversity (1), Examples of Historical Impact of economy on
- Ecology,Restoration / Ecological Engineering
- Week 9: Dr. Ligy Philip / Dr. Ravi Krishna -Solid Waste Management, Hazardous Waste Management
Topics for this course