This ambitious course in Earth Science is the first of its kind, explaining challenging scientific concepts clearly and easily.
Starting billions of years ago at the beginning of time, we bring you right to the present day. The veil is lifted on why the Earth works as it does, how we know what we know about our planet, and how all this affects your daily experience of the world.
This course is an introduction to Earth Science topics through the history of geology and chemistry. It is aimed at giving the student knowledge of why and how we know what we know in Earth Science. If you are looking for a course that will teach you the identification of common rocks & minerals, you might find another course more appropriate because the focus here is big-picture ideas.
We’ll answer the fundamental questions…
- How are mountains made?
- Why do oceans exist?
- What is a crystal?
- How old is the Earth?
- and many more…
Who this course is for:
- Beginners: You are curious about rocks and geology, but aren’t sure where to begin…Look no further!
- Intermediate Students: You have some previous geological knowledge but you will certainly benefit from the higher level content included in this course.
- Earth Scientists: You already know the science, but think of this course as “all the interesting history they left out of First-Year Geology.” I explore some interesting, offbeat avenues. Chances are, you’ll learn something tangential!
What Will I Learn?
- earn about the history and workings of planet Earth.
- Learn about global phenomena, rocks, crystals, plate tectonics, geologic time, and how rocks form.
- Learn how geology influences everything from the shape of the landscape to natural events (often called disasters.)